Are you in the middle of your life right now? not like mid-life crisis - I just mean are you in the middle of living? is that what you are doing? how does it feel?
I have been thinking a little about the "middle" and the classic tradition of haiku poetry. Something I admire about haiku is the attention to detail that requires being awake to life and being awake to life often invites gratitude into your heart.
Haiku are the world's shortest poems, however I've heard it said that a very good haiku contains a novel or whole universe inside only 17 syllables. I think I have a lot to learn before I could see all that in a haiku but the more time I take with them the more I see...
Here is an excerpt from the book I've been reading called The Classic Tradition of Haiku an Anthology, edited by Faubion Bowers:
In all their brevity, haiku do tell a story and paint a vivid picture, leaving it up to the reader or listener to draw the meanings out and complete them in the mind's eye. Many poets embellished their writing with shorthand, brush-stroke drawings. Each haiku also contains a hidden dualism: the near and the far, foreground and background, then and now, past and present, high and low, sound and silence, and temporality and eternity.
I have been thinking a little about the "middle" and the classic tradition of haiku poetry. Something I admire about haiku is the attention to detail that requires being awake to life and being awake to life often invites gratitude into your heart.
Haiku are the world's shortest poems, however I've heard it said that a very good haiku contains a novel or whole universe inside only 17 syllables. I think I have a lot to learn before I could see all that in a haiku but the more time I take with them the more I see...
Here is an excerpt from the book I've been reading called The Classic Tradition of Haiku an Anthology, edited by Faubion Bowers:
In all their brevity, haiku do tell a story and paint a vivid picture, leaving it up to the reader or listener to draw the meanings out and complete them in the mind's eye. Many poets embellished their writing with shorthand, brush-stroke drawings. Each haiku also contains a hidden dualism: the near and the far, foreground and background, then and now, past and present, high and low, sound and silence, and temporality and eternity.
+040.jpg)
Iio Sogi who lived from 1421-1502 was a master renga poet (renga means linked verse and is the origin of today's haiku) he wrote some very special poems - apparently he came from a low social background but was given the highest honor a poet could receive in his day by the shogun (or military ruler in japan) Here are some of my favorite poems of his in translation --
Snow yet remaining
the mountain slopes are misty
an evening in spring
However low one may be
it is in holding oneself in sway
that is imperative
everything from my old heart has vanished
leaving not a trace
(the last one is a translation of my own - actually - I just read the translation wrong - but the way I wrote it is the way read it - and I like it)
Here is some meanderings of my own over the last week - with influence from haiku but no haiku yet- I'm still trying to let those sink in
Shogun Song
I am a whale, of all animals, a big whale!
I am a shogun
my heart and stomach are interchangeable
I write poetry from my middle
water, underwater lava,
ridges that are the ocean's back
it stings my heart
it stings my heart
pom pom underwater plants
wave where the clams lay
and the deer swim back
to pine tree island so shining and plain
the mountains move off my shoulders
I am a deer
pines and sage
it's all the same
it stings my heart
it stings my heart
no one can equal the cherry blossom
no one can equal the moon
oh Em! So glad you posted again! I've been checking every day ya know. I'm not going to read it all now though-- I have to go and I want something to look forward to when I get home- I'm going to read it slow and then over. Love you sweet amazing girl that you are. P.S. I've had the most rediculous week with school!
ReplyDeleteEm, I love the haiku and the trying to be close to haiku. Words wrap around you so sweetly. Keep writing and post some music please.
ReplyDeleteOh man!! I already love the first paragraph!.. Okay, I'm gonna keep reading...
ReplyDeleteI think it's wonderful that you are getting into Haiku in some way. To answer those questions at the top... yes, yes, yes. I DO feel like I am in the middle often or the inbetween- sometimes stuck uncertain whether with the next step I will sink deeper or come closer to setting myself free. I think you are really onto something with your thoughts in this post. The poem. I love the poem. Love it's imagery. I'm a sucker for imagery- I crave it- part of why I love traveling so much.
I'm going to pretend like Lindsay's comment up there is actually Lindsay's face and say "Hi, Lindsay!" because Lindsay wrote to me on facebook and made me feel so special.
Em- I just wanted to let you know I closed my blog out for a little while- so if you try to check it out and it says you are not invited to see it- it's nothing personal! Love you.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read the poem it was like floating across trees and the ocean. I imagined a deer near tacoma, and then I just kept riding the creases of my memory. I love the imperative of "I am a ..." -- I imagine myself as a whale -- as a shogun -- it is quite special.
ReplyDeleteawe... good comment Craig. Mind if I comment on the comments? I envisioned myself sinking down into the ocean coming close to the ocean floor.
ReplyDeletethanks for the encouraging comments laurel, and lindsay and craig - it's nice to know that you are out there and that you read my blog - I will try to keep them coming
ReplyDeleteI've been reading crime and punishment - I finished it yesterday - I think it took me less than a week to read it - that means I've been doing a lot of reading - which is one of my goals --- what are you guys working on?
love emily
thanks for the sweet comment on facebook Em. I would love for us to talk- this weekend would probably be good. Good job on the reading! Sadly, I don't feel like I even have time for much in the way of goals right now- at least not beyond school and work- I have really been wanting to work out and have just not had the time! I am procrastinating right now as a matter of fact- but it doesn't take much to procrastinate since virtually any minute of my time that is not spent toward school work or work work seems to get me behind....
ReplyDeletebig hug for you girlie!